Monday, December 31, 2007

Journey to myself (phsically) - The Negev I/III

On the way to the start of my hike we stopped at a kibbutz place where I bought some dried fruits, energy honey bars and some local milk products.
The kibbutz place at the Jordanian border.

30°32'47.07"N 35°11'6.01"E. The starting point where Moshe dropped me.
24 liters of water were in my backpack. But this was needed for the hike.
Last check if I have all important things with me. Map, compass, knife, ...
... fine! So let´s explore The Incense Route which connected the Yemen with the Mediterranean Sea in ancient times.
First impressions of the desert. Dry, rough, beautiful! And my first lesson. A shortcut in a stone desert is only wise if you have lots of time. With a heavy load backpack the steep ridge become time consuming and dangerous.
During the first hours of the hike I followed a wadi which had some trees once in a while.
The sunset was around five and the shaddow got longer with every minute.
Time to find a place to stay.
Sunset was near...
but none would look for a place to sleep if you can enjoy such a sunset.
Snapshot.
Finally I found a nice spot next to the wadi on a small hill.
Time for dinner. Around 6 I went into the sleeping bag since it was dark and I was tired.
Sunrise over the Jordan mountains.
Ruins.
This is how i expected the desert. dry, empty and later that day warm - very warm.
The colors changed minute-by-minute. Beautiful.
After I crossed a hill this was the wadi I had to follow next.
Erosion.
In the wadis there were gravel roads. But you can not walk on those because the stones are loose and you feel like walking on foam. Very hard. So you better find a way next to the roads.
Me in the wadi. Still smiling and enjoying the tour.
On of those steep ridges you are facing if you try to walk cross-country.
A rest in the shade.
The way ahead.
Trapped in the wadi.
´En Saharonim. An oasis in ancient times. The way up there ( 30°36'15.48"N 34°56'18.95"E) was very exhausting. Maybe I drank to less although I thought I did better. I had first doubts if I can do the hike i planned and if I should stop the hike! I was in a bad mood. And it was hot. Second lesson!
The ruins...
... and information.
The oasis. Unfortunately I did not check if there was water available or not.
An hour later at the campground - i did not know up to that point - in the crater Maktesh Ramon 30°37'11.22"N 34°55'11.21"E. The temperature droped and a Pepsi and ice cream with almonds brought back my motivation immediately.
I refilled my water bags because I was dead set on doing the hike as I planned it.
The smile was back!
Maktesh Ramon - looking NE.
Sunset over Mazpe Ramon.
Finally I found a place to sleep and ...
... prepared dinner.
Delicious. Noodle soup with sausages and finally I could also take my shoes of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home